Patient education is one of our top priorities in Livonia. The professional staff at DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry wants everyone in the Metro Detroit area to understand how important it is to take great care of their teeth and gums – and to know the impact of neglecting that care. We understand that there are a lot of myths about dental care and want to make sure our patients in Livonia, Redford, Dearborn Heights, Plymouth, and the surrounding areas know all the facts.
Dr. Jim DeCapite demystifies five common myths about dental health:
- Brushing harder is better: In fact, brushing too hard can harm the protective enamel on the teeth as well as the gums! Likewise, using a brush with bristles that are too hard can be harmful to the teeth. A soft-bristled toothbrush is recommended for most people.
- Chewing sugarless gum works just as well as brushing: At DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we do recommend to our patients that they chew sugarless gum. It helps keep teeth clean between brushing but brushing and flossing are still critical for removing plaque.
- Flossing isn’t necessary for dental health: Many patients believe that brushing once a day is enough to keep teeth and gums clean. However, flossing helps reach the places that brushing might not necessarily get completely clean. It’s important to brush twice a day and to floss at least once a day, every day!
- Gum disease is only a dental issue: Researchers have found strong connections between heart disease, diabetes, and other health issues and the presence of gum disease. Bacteria can flow from infected gums through the blood stream to affect the health of many other areas of the body.
- Dental visits are just for problems: In fact, a dental checkup can help prevent problems. A regular checkup and cleaning can ensure that the professional team at DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry will be able to spot potential cavities, gum disease, or other dental health concerns before they become bigger issues.
Call for your regular checkup and cleaning today. Feel free to ask us any questions you may have about dental myths you may have heard. We always look forward to seeing our patients in the Livonia, Redford, Dearborn Heights, Plymouth, and surrounding Metro Detroit communities throughout the year. Our office is conveniently located in Livonia, near the intersection of Schoolcraft and Merriman Roads.
Call the office today to get started on good dental health and good overall health!
This informative post, about dental health, family and cosmetic dentistry, and patient care, is brought to you by DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Livonia Michigan.
Please call us for an appointment today.
734 744 5457
31644 Schoolcraft Road
Livonia, MI 48150
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Google my Business and give us a review!
The content of this blog article about family and cosmetic dentistry is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.
Photo: Pixabay, PublicDomainPictures/17913