Brushing twice a day or more is very important to good dental health; just as importantly, deciding what toothpaste to use when brushing is important as well. There are so many choices available on store shelves in Livonia, Redford, and the surrounding Westside that it can sometimes be overwhelming. There are many different brands and different varieties of toothpaste within each brand, all designed for different needs. At DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we want our patients to brush regularly and to know what kind of toothpaste is best for their specific needs.
Dr. Jim DeCapite shares five points patients should consider when choosing the right toothpaste:
- Cavity prevention: Toothpaste that contains fluoride can help protect teeth against cavities and can fight sensitivity. Fluoride helps make tooth enamel stronger, protecting teeth from acid damage.
- Whitening: Toothpaste generally does not actually whiten teeth. Instead, it contains scrubbing materials that remove stains. Whitening toothpaste can provide short-term results. At DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, though, we offer teeth whitening treatments that can provide a near-permanent solution for a dull smile!
- Flavors: Choosing the right flavor can help family members look forward to brushing their teeth and that’s a win for everyone! Children, especially, may be more inclined to brush their teeth regularly if they have fruity-flavored toothpaste to enjoy. Adults may prefer mint or even cinnamon flavors.
- Consistency: There is also a wide range of toothpaste types available when it comes to choosing a gel, paste, baking soda, or even powdered toothpaste. Again, choosing the consistency that makes family members want to brush their teeth is always the best option.
- Sensitivity: For patients with sensitive teeth, toothpaste designed for their needs can help by protecting teeth against the irritants that cause them pain. Over-the-counter toothpaste contains ingredients that can help block pain signals from reaching the nerves of their teeth, helping to calm sensitive teeth.
At DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we encourage our patients to discuss all of their dental needs with our expert staff, including which toothpaste is best for them. Our office is conveniently located in Livonia, near the intersection of Schoolcraft and Merriman Roads. Our professional dental team is ready to help all our patients in the Livonia, Redford, Dearborn Heights, Plymouth, and surrounding Metro Detroit communities!
Call the office today to get started on good dental health and good overall health!
This informative post, about dental health, family and cosmetic dentistry, and patient care, is brought to you by DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Livonia Michigan.
Please call us for an appointment today.
734 744 5457
31644 Schoolcraft Road
Livonia, MI 48150
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Google my Business and give us a review!
The content of this blog article about family and cosmetic dentistry is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.
Photo: Pixabay, Bru-nO / toothpaste