Many of our patients across Metro Detroit tell us they have sensitive teeth. At DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we work with each one to find the reasons for any discomfort they may have when they come to us. We want all our patients in Livonia, Redford, Dearborn Heights, Plymouth, and the surrounding communities to have healthy and happy smiles.
Dr. Jim DeCapite offers five recommendations for patients with sensitive teeth:
- Maintain a clean mouth: Sensitivity to hot and cold food and drink can become worse if the teeth and gums are not kept clean. Regular brushing and flossing can help alleviate these symptoms.
- Use a medicated toothpaste or mouth rinse: Brushing gently and regularly with products made especially for sensitive teeth is helpful for our patients. An abrasive toothpaste can aggravate sensitive teeth.
- Avoid acidic foods: Citrus fruits and juices, coffee, carbonated sodas, and carbs that contain a lot of sugar can also aggravate sensitive teeth. Our patients who consume these foods can help alleviate their sensitivity by waiting at least one hour before brushing and having a glass of milk in the meantime to neutralize the acids.
- Try a mouth guard to prevent grinding: Teeth grinding wears away the enamel and that can make teeth more sensitive. The professional staff at DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry are happy to work with patients to see if an Occlusal Guard can help with grinding and with sensitive teeth.
- Have Decapite check for gum disease: Sensitive teeth may actually be the result of gum issues. Receding or diseased gums cannot protect the teeth like they are supposed to and so the result is that the teeth are more sensitive than they need to be.
Doctor Jim wants our patients in Livonia, Redford, and the surrounding west side to enjoy having a healthy mouth, without worrying about their sensitive teeth. We accept new patients and, of course, all emergencies. We are conveniently located in Livonia, near the intersection of Schoolcraft and Merriman Roads.
Call the office today to set an appointment! 734 744 5457!
This informative post, about dental health, family and cosmetic dentistry, and patient care, is brought to you by DeCapite Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Livonia Michigan.
Please call us for an appointment today.
734 744 5457
31644 Schoolcraft Road
Livonia, MI 48150
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Google my Business and give us a review!
The content of this blog article about family and cosmetic dentistry is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice in any manner or form. Always consult a dentist, doctor or licensed medical professional with any questions.
Photo: Pixabay, Slavoljubovski, teeth